Valentine’s Day is filled with love and admiration for the people and furry companions you hold near and dear to your heart. If you’re wondering how to show your dog you love them, how to show your cat you love them, or how to love on your horse, this one’s for you!
GlobalVetLink has five ways to help show your pet some well-deserved love this holiday.
1. Make Homemade Treats
Cesar Chavez once said, “The people who give you their food give you their heart.” What better way to show your pets some love than to make them some delicious homemade treats? The good news is making homemade treats is way easier than you think! Check out these easy recipes for every type of pet.
2. Surprise Them With a New Toy
It’s no surprise that gift-giving is the most popular way to express love and affection for those special people and pets. Check out these Valentine’s Day-themed toys your pet will love this holiday!
3. Go On An Adventure
Animals of all kinds love new things to keep their minds stimulated. This Valentine’s Day, show some love for your pets by taking them on a new adventure. They’ll enjoy spending quality time with you while also trying something new! Check out some ideas for every species below!
- Dog Adventure Ideas
- Dog Park
- Going on a walk on a different route
- Have a puppy play date with their favorite friends
- Cat Adventure Ideas
- Go on a supervised walk outside
- Hide treats around the house for them to find
- Play a game of hide and seek
- Horse Adventure Ideas
- Go riding on a new trail or route
- Try a new riding exercise or pattern
- Try hand grazing around the barn to places they haven’t been before
4. Learn A New Trick
Like going on a new adventure, learning new tricks can provide great mental stimulation to your beloved pets. Bond with them this Valentine’s Day by learning something new together! Try teaching your pets some tricks listed below that will be sure to impress anyone lucky enough to watch!
5. Spa Day
Get your pet looking its best this Valentine’s Day! Grooming your pets not only helps them look good, but it helps them feel good. Grooming your pet is a proven technique for relaxing them. Nothing says “I love you” quite like making your pets feel relaxed, beautiful, and comfortable. Make grooming that much easier with these products below for each species!
- Grooming Dog
- Grooming Cat
- Grooming Horse
How do cats show love?
Want to know if your cat is saying “I love you” in their own special language? Here are a few ways to tell:
- Your cat licks you to "groom" you.
- Your cat purrs when you pet him or her.
- Your cat rubs his or her cheek on you.
- Your cat "kneads" you with their paws. (Some people jokingly refer to this as "making biscuits"!)
- Your cat gives you a "slow blink" to express their love and trust.
How do dogs show love?
Here's how to tell when your dog is loving on you:
- Your dog wags his or her tail when they see you.
- Your dog follows you around.
- Your dog licks your face.
- Your dog falls asleep near you.
- Your dog stares into your eyes for long periods of time.
How do horses show love?
If you have a special equine companion in your life, here’s how to tell when they’re giving you love:
- Your horse gives you a big, slobbery kiss.
- Your horse rubs his or her head on you.
- Your horse follows you to the field and sees you as a leader.
- Your horse is calm and relaxed around you.
- Your horse watches you and follows your movements
We hope you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day and give your furry friends all the love they deserve!
Vet Lib: Pepe’s “Parisian” Romance
Do you remember Mad Libs? We have veterinary-inspired mad libs for you!
Help Pepè, a romantic feline, hatch a sneaky plan to visit his new Parisian love, Penelope, for Valentine's Day! Fill it out alone, or for maximum laughs, with your entire team.